|Assessment Notices Mailing|
2020 Assessment Notices will be mailed on January 29, 2020. The deadline to appeal is 30 days from the date of the Assessment Notice, in most cases this will be February 28, 2020. Please contact our office at 907 459-1428 if you have questions about your Assessment Notice, your assessed value or how to file an appeal.
The Assessing Department is responsible for assessing the value of all properties within the Fairbanks North Star Borough boundaries, and administers all State and Borough exemptions as set forth in State Statutes and Borough Code. The department also maintains property records information, which includes ownership, address, assessed value, and property descriptions. Assessing has two primary missions;
1.Administer a property assessment that is fair, uniform, and equitable by employing the following eight procedures:
- Locate and identify all taxable property within each taxing jurisdiction
- Inventory the quantity, quality, and important characteristics of all taxable property
- Accurately estimate the market value of each taxable property
- Determine the extent of tax ability of each property
- Calculate the taxable value(s) for each property
- Timely notify the owner(s) of the assessed value
- Respond to inquiries regarding methods and values; Governing Laws and Regulations
- Prepare and certify the official assessment roll of the entire Borough
2.Provide up-to-date information about assessment and related property matters, a service grown in importance to the community over the years.